Monday, November 28, 2011

ABITAX 0510 Tag Light


This was another toy I came across in the New York MoMa Store.  Initially, I was hesistant to buy this keychain light, at $18 USD I felt it was overpriced for what it was.  Nevertheless, I ended up getting it anyway. 

The ABITAX tag light is sort of similar to the 'fauxton' lights, but what intrigued me about it was the design and smaller size.  Instead of two CR2016 batteries which are found in the fauxton/photon lights, it uses two smaller CR2012 batteries.  As a result this, the light is slightly smaller and very lightweight.  In fact, it's probably the smallest and lightest flashlight I own.



Size comparison.  From the top: Photon Freedom, ABITAX Tag Light, Egear Pico Zipper Lite
 
Comparing the ABITAX tag light to my Photon Freedom, the ABITAX is slightly less bright.  However, it does have a nicer tint which is more blue as opposed to a purple tint.   The beam also has less rings and artefacts than the Photon Freedom.  The ABITAX has a clear frosted section over the LED; I believe this helps to smooth out the beam.

LED is protected by a frosted translucent cover.  However, the centre area is not frosted.


To operate the light; you push the red button to turn it on momentarily.  If you want to leave the light on, you need to slide the red button forward.  I do find the side button a little too sensitive to pressure, and it is likely to accidentally turn itself on.

Another downside of this light, is that it's not waterproof. 

On the upside, the batteries in the ABITAX are easier to change than the photon/fauxton lights.  There is a small panel on the back, that can be slid open to change the batteries.  No need for screwdrivers or other utensils.

Panel on the back is flipped open to change batteries

Another thing I like about this light is the clip that it comes with it.  It's really sturdy, lightweight and well made.  I wish I could get more of these to use on my keyring.

I really like the clip that comes with this light!

 Overall this keychain light has a few shortcomings, but if you are looking for something very small that weighs next to nothing... it might be something to consider.

Dioide: Nichia white LED
Size : H31.6mm X W14.7mm X D8mm
Weight : 4g including batteries and clip
Runtime:  15 hours (manufacturer claims)
Made in Japan
Manufacturer's Website:  http://www.abitax.co.jp/products/0510taglight/
Online source: MoMa Store


Some similar sized, previously reviewed, keychain lights that you could also consider are:
Egear Pico Zipper Lite
Streamlight Nano


4 comments:

  1. Great write up and pictures. I've bought a few of these over the years from Moma and they work great for their size, although overall I prefer the photon II.

    I really like the clip that comes with it though, would be great for a leatherman squirt or other multitool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing ABITAX 's Tag light.
    I am Hiroshi MIYASAKA, sale manager of ABITAX Inc.
    Tag light has 12 colors. I would be pleased if you could see our website.
    https://www.abitax.co.jp/index_e.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have provided informative post on keychain flashlight. This will help me choose the best keychain with flashlight for my next camping trip.
    Wholesale Flashlights Keychain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parabéns pela criação da Abitax 0510, que é a melhor lanterna de bolso. Comprei 4 exemplares no Moma para oferta a familiares e estão também encantados. Uso uma e já me tem ajudado em muitas situações a descobrir o caminho.

    ReplyDelete